Friday, January 28, 2011

2010 Reflections on Cooking, Labor and Babies

Reflections on Cooking
What a year! So many changes.... I thoroughly enjoyed trying all my new recipes, although I have to confess - my favorites are all the dishes I grew up on in the good old red and white Mennonite cookbooks. Pioneer Woman comes in a strong second though. Her step by step instructions taught me how to make fried chicken, gravy and a pot roast!
Over the past year, a few things have grabbed my heart, and I now claim them as my favorites/can't live without them:

Not in any specific order:
1. My wooden cutting board and fruit/anything basket




2. Catch all dish - home for my wedding rings (currently guarded by two adorable snowmen)


3. Tongs - one of my favorite utensils!


4. Dutch Oven in Cranberry - Love this!! It is perfect for roasts, deep frying, soup and much more!


5. BUTTER - need I say more....


6. French Fried Onions - You can put these on everything :)


7. Mini Casserole Dishes - what's not to love about these


8. Bath and Body Works Fresh Lime Basil hand foam wash


Reflections on Labor
1 word - epidural!
I couldn't stop complimenting the doctor who administered this drug. I'm guessing he gets that a lot :) I faced my biggest fear this year, and it wasn't worth all the worry and stress I gave it. My labor was made much easier with drugs. I have no shame in admitting that I am a pure wimp when it comes to pain, needles and blood! And when I go in to deliver my next child, I will once again ask (plead) for drugs :)

Reflections on babies
While everyone puts the fear of God in you about labor, no one ever told me about the emotions of bringing your new bundle home. "A child will change your life" - understatement of the year! No one could have prepared me for those first few weeks. I am so grateful for the support system I had (hubby/mom/mother-in-law). At almost 4 months, I am just now getting back into a somewhat normal routine. Although every day, I find myself changing my mindset that this is the new normal for us. And when i'm having a bad day, all it takes is a smile from Oliver and somehow all those frustrations just melt away.
My favorite sounds - the coo's of my son and the garage door opening at 5:00 p.m.
My favorite time of day - early morning snuggle times with Oliver and sitting down to dinner with Ryan
A few of my favorite baby things:
1. Oliver's new P.J.'s (thanks to his Aunt Jo)


2. Oliver's new lamb (thanks to Grandma K.)


3. Baby boy socks


Effective January 3rd, I am making the transition from full time to two days a week. Ryan and I both felt an unrest about me returning to work full time. So with much prayer, we trusted Gods leading for me to quit my job. When I went in to resign, I was offered two days a week, which was exactly what I was looking for! What an awesome answer to prayer. (Next time I doubt that God will come through - just slap me).

New sacrifices will need to be made now that our income has been decreased. I won't be able to eat at my favorite restaurants as often as I like, buy that adorable sweater at GAP or even have my sons pictures taken at my favorite photographer, but I find the sacrifices worth it! If it means I can stay home with my son, see his first steps, wipe all his tears and instill in him the values that are so important - I give them up gladly!

So with a diaper rag on my shoulder and a snotty, congested child on my lap, I am embracing my new life - a mother in need of Gods grace....every hour!

No comments:

Post a Comment