Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Strawberry Pie & Bran Muffins

First things first - Look what I found in my hanging basket :)

















It has been a very long time since I have been able to put my thoughts on "paper" so to speak. Our little family has been very busy - planting, planning a community event, watermelons, softball and our normal activities. I find my biggest challenge to be distracting muffin long enough to get anything done. My biggest surprise of having a baby is not being able to do basic chores around the house. I struggle every week just getting my house clean, laundry done and dishes washed. And I only have one child! I don't know how other mothers do it all with multiples. When I was pregnant, my outlook on motherhood went something like this..... 


Baby wakes up (around 8 a.m.)
Baby plays happily in his walker/high chair/play yard for an hour or so
Baby takes nap (for 2 hours)
Baby eats lunch
Baby plays happily in his walker/high chair/play yard for an hour or so
Baby takes nap (for 3 hours)
Baby eats supper
Baby spends evening playing with daddy and mommy
Baby goes to bed
Baby sleeps all night


Reality
Baby wakes up (6 a.m.)
Baby plays happily until mommy leaves the room
Baby plays by himself for 5 minutes before he realized that mommy tricked him by leaving the room without being seen
Mommy plays with baby until nap time
Baby takes nap (for 1 hour 30 minutes)
Baby eats snack
Baby plays happily until mommy leaves the room
Baby plays by himself for 5 minutes before he realized that once again, mommy tricked him by leaving the room without being seen
Mommy plays with baby until nap time
Baby takes nap


Repeat
Repeat
Repeat


Baby goes to bed
Baby wakes up at 11:30, 12:30 and 1:30 (12:30 he has soaked his pajamas with pee)
Baby wakes up at 6 a.m.
Repeat
Is this normal or is muffin just bad or spoiled?


So while I play/entertain muffin, the dust keeps reproducing, my slop pile grows fuzzier by the day, bills go unpaid, and my flower beds plead for some mulch.


After muffin goes to bed, my mind goes into super mode and I try to get everything done that was neglected that day. But my poor hubby is worn out from his day and wants to rest. Needless to say, our time together is small, but we try to take every moment we can to communicate with each other.


I recently made strawberry pie from the berries picked from my in-laws garden. I can't tell you when I made it because that would give away how fast we have eaten it... And that would be embarrassing....


















I also happened to have some heavy whipping cream in my fridge, so I made some whip cream to go with it... Bad? Yes I know. Yummy? oh yeah! It's worth every calorie/carb or whatever is in it that is considered unhealthy.


Muffin has been struggling with his #2 lately. So I made some lovely bran muffins to help move things along. He loves them! You should try them. The best part is that the mix can be stored in the fridge for 2 weeks. So when you want to bake a dozen, just plop and bake. And wallah! - things move easier!


Bran Muffins (Red Mennonite Cookbook)


1 c. boiling water
3 c. All-Bran
2 c. Buttermilk
1 1/2 c. sugar
1 2/3 c. shortening
4 eggs
4 c. flour
2 1/2 t. soda
1 t. salt


Pour boiling water over All-Bran and let cook to lukewarm. Add buttermilk.


In a mixer, cream sugar and shortening, add eggs, flour, soda and salt. Mix with buttermilk mixture. Bake at 375 for 12-15 minutes.


The batter will be very thick. Looking for something to do with all that leftover buttermilk? Try these lovely options:


Onion Strings
Best Chocolate Sheet Cake Ever
Red Velvet Cake
Smoky and Cheesy Buttermilk Baked Mashed Potatoes

Or just make pancakes


So my goals for June:
Box up my Christmas decorations (or should I just let them wait for another 6 months?)
Clean out the inside of my filthy car
Expand my overstuffed filing cabinet that will not take another piece of paper
Take out my fuzzy slop.....

No comments:

Post a Comment